ALL GAMES AT LONG LOTS — BE READY TO START AT 6:15 PM SHARP! — EVERYONE MUST BRING A BALL!
June 20: Timmy Liles’ goal with 3 seconds remaining lifted France to a 5-4 victory — their first of 2 on opening day. Egypt — without a keeper — also went 2-for-2. Greece and Spain won 1 match each.
Gabe Baltierra (captain)
Vaughan Sealey (captain)
Lefty Penderakis (captain)
Alejandro Perez Elorza
Nick Ambrose (captain)
Patricio Perez Elorza
Sam Liles (captain)
Ry Cohen (captain)
SCHEDULE — ALL GAMES AT LONG LOTS — BE READY TO START AT 6:15 PM SHARP! — EVERYONE MUST BRING A BALL!
Wed., June 20: France-Holland; Egypt-Greece; Nigeria-Spain
Egypt-Nigeria; Greece-Holland; France-Spain
Wed., June 27: Greece-Nigeria; Holland-Spain; France-Egypt
Spain-Egypt; Nigeria-Holland; Greece-France
Wed., July 11: Spain-Greece; Holland-Egypt; Nigeria-France
Egypt-Greece; France-Holland; Nigeria-Spain
Wed., July 18: France-Spain; Egypt-Nigeria; Greece-Holland
Holland-Spain; Greece-Nigeria; France-Egypt
Wed., July 25: Nigeria-Holland; Spain-Egypt; Greece-France
Nigeria-France; Spain-Greece; Holland-Egypt
Wed., August 1: Semifinals and finals
RULES — All games at LONG LOTS — Be there ready to start at 6:15 pm sharp! — Everyone must bring a ball!
1) 20-minute halves, running time. Approximately 5-10 minute halftime. Shin guards are mandatory.
2) 6-v-6 plus 1 keeper; if both teams agree, they can play 7-v-7 plus 1 keeper. Keepers may use their hands WITHIN REASONABLE AREAS. Subs may enter on any out-of-bounds or dead ball; no subbing on the fly.
3) No referees; call your own fouls. No penalty kicks. Watermelon Cup administrators* will be in attendance at all games, and may eject or ban players for egregious or repeated fouls.
4) No offsides, though goal-hanging is severely discouraged. This is the Watermelon Cup; if you can’t play defense as well as offense, find another sport.
5) 3 points for a win; 1 for a tie.
6) *Watermelon Cup administrators: Dan Woog, Kurt Dasbach. Yes, Dasbach plays. He’s a very fair guy. This isn’t the Supreme Court. Get over it.